Barnwood farm tables, reclaimed wood tables… whatever you want to call them, the fact is you love them and want one (or perhaps two) in your home. But where do you start, and what should you consider when choosing a barnwood farm table? Here are a few things to ask yourself:
1. What size table will fit your home, your family and extra guests on special occasions? (We will address this point in detail later in this post.)
2. What table design (shape and height) is right for you and your space? Round, rectangle, oval, square… perhaps bar height?
3. What is your current style, and is that changing? French Country, Farmhouse, Traditional or Contemporary?
4. Color and finish are important. What wood stain or paint color is right for the room, and does the top need to be durable for heavy usage (kitchen & kids)?
5. Construction and attention to detail is the most important consideration. The other points don’t matter if this one is neglected. Barnwood is very temperamental, and your table must be built by a craftsman to avoid any cracking, warping and wobbling. When made correctly, your table will last for generations.
We know this is a lot to consider. We’ll address all of these elements in future posts, but for now let’s talk about number 1, choosing the right size table.
The classic 6’ long Farm Table with legs typically accommodates 6 people – you can squeeze 8. Generally, a 7’ table will seat 8, and an 8’ table will seat 10. Add extensions, also known as company boards (for company, hah!), and you can add 4 more place settings. All of this is also affected by chair width, which averages 24″ wide, so keep this in mind as part of your planning. There should also be at least 30″ of space around the table to enable chairs to move in and out comfortably. More space is even better.
Here’s a cool rule you can use for round tables to determine how many people can fit around it. It’s called the Rule of 8: take the diameter of the tabletop and divide by 8. So, a 42” diameter table can hold 5 people; a 60” diameter table can fit 7 to 8, etc.
Like we said, it is a lot to know… but we can help. Country Willow has been specializing in American made barn wood farm tables and furniture since 1996. We have built over 2000 tables in every possible style and finish imaginable. In fact, we are one of the largest builders and providers of custom reclaimed wood furniture in the country, and our quality and attention to detail is second to none. Let us guide you through this process and all the possibilities. We guarantee that you will end up with the perfect farm table for your home and your family. Hope to see you soon!
Celebrating over 25 years in business in Westchester County, New York, Country Willow is a unique neighborhood furniture & accessories store with one of the largest showrooms in the northeastern United States. We hold to our founders’ mission to offer solid, sustainable furnishings and personalized service amid a warm and inviting showroom.
We enjoy getting to know each of our customers in the NY/CT area while offering complimentary design services from skilled decorators who can help curate a home, room or single piece with each client’s preferences in mind. Visit us today at 230 Route 117 Bypass Road, Bedford Hills, New York 10507 or call us at (914) 241-7000.