Entertainment Centers, TV Consoles, or Media Centers… they go by many names. Whatever you call it, chances are you have at least one or more in your home, or wish you did. So where do you start? You might be thinking it will depend on the size of your TV, but that is not necessarily so! So, let us help you.
1. What room do you need your entertainment center to go, and where in the room will it be placed?
- Consider stairs and doorways – this will dictate the size of your entertainment center, so make sure it will fit without having to take out a wall or door frame.
- Placement – will the unit be centered on a wall? Perhaps there’s an empty corner that would be perfect for a corner unit?
- Power and wire management – be sure there are available outlets or power strips nearby.
2. Is your seating adequate for watching TV in your new entertainment center?
- The distance from seating to the TV is an important part of optimizing your viewing experience. In the end it will depend on the size of your room, which will drive TV size.
- Consider the type of seating you have – is it a large sectional sofa and chair, or are you watching TV from bed?
- How much seating is really enough? Is it just for the kids, the entire family, or for big game day parties?
3. What size is your TV and will it fit?
Now that you know which room your entertainment center will be in, which wall it will be placed on, and how far you are sitting from the TV, this is the fun part: put some blue painter’s tape up on the wall to represent your TV, and see what size really works. Note that items below can impact this final decision.
4. What components do you have or plan to have in your media center?
You are going to want your entertainment center to hold all your A/V equipment, so make a list of everything with measurements. Cable box, DVD player, Blue-ray player, Apple TV, video game equipment, receiver, left/right speakers, and center channel speaker or soundbar. It would also be a perfect home for your music system, as well as DVDs and CDs. This information will be extremely helpful to your salesperson or designer, so bring your list with you when you go shopping.
5. What is the best design for your entertainment center?
Now that you know your TV size and have compiled your component list, you can decide on a design for your entertainment center. Some choices include a TV Console (base only), Entertainment Center with a Hutch top, or a Multifunction Wall Unit. Each of these designs come in many sizes and have many features. Measure all walls in your room, get the ceiling height, and make notes of all outlets, doors, and windows. Think about the architecture of the room and look online or in magazines for design inspiration. Our website (countrywillow.com) is a great place to start.
Do you have a large wall that calls for a large beautiful entertainment center or do you need a stunning smaller unit? Would you like the TV hidden away behind doors when not in use? Would a combination wall unit and desk system be handy for you? Hmmmm…
6. Now, what is your style, and what is the style of your home?
Country, contemporary, classic, eclectic, traditional, etc. Your entertainment center can be whatever you want it to be, so think about your design inspiration and what styles you like so you’ll be prepared when you go shopping.
7. What about Construction and Quality?
You’ll want this piece of furniture to support, protect, and show off your expensive equipment, and you’ll also want it to last for a long time – so make sure you are getting the quality you want. This unit should be solid and well made, with features like adjustable shelves and drawers with full-extension glides to prevent sinking or wobbling. This is an active piece of furniture, so make sure it is durable enough for your family.
8. How do I find someone to help me with this?
Taking all these things into consideration, you’re ready to shop for your new entertainment center. I know it feels a bit complicated, but Country Willow does this all day long. Our staff is excellent and is ready to help you. We have no commissioned sales people and offer complimentary design services. Just pick your style, pick your finish, give us your info and we’ll do the rest. We have a very large selection to choose from in our showroom, and we can also easily design a custom entertainment center for you. And remember that “custom” doesn’t mean it comes with a large price tag!
Celebrating over 25 years in business in Westchester County, New York, Country Willow is a unique neighborhood furniture & accessories store with one of the largest showrooms in the northeastern United States. We hold to our founders’ mission to offer solid, sustainable furnishings and personalized service amid a warm and inviting showroom.
We enjoy getting to know each of our customers in the NY/CT area while offering complimentary design services from skilled decorators who can help curate a home, room or single piece with each client’s preferences in mind. Visit us today at 230 Route 117 Bypass Road, Bedford Hills, New York 10507 or call us at (914) 241-7000.